Locations that offer this class:
Kindermusik Sign & Sing
newborn to 3 years
45 minute, weekly classes
Tuition and Materials: $72 per month first child,
$55 month each additional child
What you’ll experience in Sign & Sing class:
- Playing, signing, singing. Your little one will learn sign language faster when she’s having fun – and playing with you. So we’ll sing songs and insert the sign as we say the words, play with toys, and help him learn both the spoken word and the sign. In addition, the combination of learning signs while engaging in a musical environment significantly enhances long-term learning abilities.
- Parents and children learning to communicate. When your child is chasing a soap bubble or asking for the ball, you’ll make the sign for it, and say the word. So she has three ways to associate the word with the object: she holds the ball, she hears you say the word, and she sees you make the sign.
- Connecting. Not only will your child start connecting signs with objects and language, he will be connecting with the other caregivers and children in the class. Taking part in this unique community setting where there are several adults signing will encourage and enhance your child’s social skills.
- Useful information. Each activity we experience is fun, but at the same time, Sign & Sing is designed to nurture every area of your child’s growth. Your teacher will present specific developmental information about your child. Each moment in class designed to focus on and enhance cognitive, literacy, and physical skills as well as language.
- Vocal development. (Even if you don’t hear it!) Recent research shows that hearing children who know signs learn language almost twice as fast as non-signing children! As early as 11-14 months old, hearing children exposed to sign language put short sentences together faster than non-signing children, who do not reach this stage until the average age of 20 months.
- Expert advice. You’ll learn to spot your baby’s most “teachable moments,” – how to effectively sign with your child and enjoy learning in a natural way that is centered around your child’s normal daily activities. You’ll master and the sign language teaching methods of the experts, and learn to recognize and respond to your child’s versions of signs.
Sessions A and B
Hearing children who know signs learn language almost twice as fast, and the combination of learning signs while engaging in a musical environment significantly enhances long-term learning abilities. You’ll learn the sign language teaching methods of the experts, as well as how to spot your baby’s most “teachable moments”. You’ll easily substitute American Sign Language (ASL) signs in familiar songs, improving your child’s language skills, fine motor skills, and strengthening fingers for zipping zippers and using scissors. You’ll never have to memorize a list of signs; Sign & Sing gives you the ASL signs that are most useful to you, and most interesting to your child. You’ll learn while you play, using everyday items in a natural way that is centered around your child’s normal daily activities such as eating, getting dressed, playing, and bath time.
With the At Home Materials, the learning continues with your child’s best teacher – you!
- 2 Family Activity Guides that contain the songs and activities we do in class, plus lots more fun and creative ideas and tips for enhancing signing knowledge at home.
- A DVD glossary demonstrating more than 60 signs.
- The Treasure Chest: Signs, Songs and Rhymes DVD featuring children signing and singing the animal-themed songs from class and favorite toys from the toy room.
- Music downloads filled with delightful songs and activities!
- 2 sets of Clip-on flashcards that feature photos of children and adults using family-friendly ASL signs, and photos of 30 animal ASL signs.